Not long ago we posted a call for “newsworthy” and “blogworthy” stuff on our FB page. We got a couple good emails, but by far our favorite was from a very proud mom, Karen.
Karen’s son, Ronald is an 11 year old at Arizona Fleming Elementary (part of Fort Bend ISD) in the Sugar Land area. Pretty much on his own accord, Ronald realized he wanted to give back to his community (most notably his school) while starting a business for himself. Did we mention he’s 11?
Whether as a weekend chore gone mad or just something to keep his piggy bank heavy, Ronald really took to lawn care so a few months ago he decided to start Bucks for Books – a local lawn care business for his community.
On their own, his rates are pretty outstanding. He charges $12 for the front and back yard (picking up branches, mowing the lawn, bagging the leaves, etc.) and $8 for front yard only. And, Ronald (on behalf of Bucks for Books) will donate $2 for every completed job to his school. He already has a savings account waiting to deposit all those hefty earnings!
To get his do-gooder business off the ground (no pun intended), Ronald is doing some intense guerrilla marketing (with the help of his beaming mom, Karen) by going door-to-door and cold-calling his neighbors, creating some snazzy marketing flyers, and even reaching out to us, Charity Chicks Houston! The man means business. Did we mention he’s 11?
Ronald is currently looking for new business clients in his area (he can’t drive…remember, he’s only 11?) which is in the Dover Subdivision (Houston area, 77083). If you don’t live near his subdivision, there are still a ton of ways you can help:
- you can be a donor to help him get his business running. he is looking for “investors” and particularly those that want to “match” his donations. (interested parties should email his mother, Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- do you have supplies you can donate to Ronald for his great efforts? (email his mother at the above email address if so)
- you can reach out to your friends or co-workers who may live in the Dover Subdivision area and are looking for great lawn care service while helping out a great local cause.
- leave a comment here encouraging him to keep going!
- you can encourage your kids (or any young folks in your life) to follow in the footsteps of Ronald. what an inspirational story, yes?
- if you’re a member of the media or know one, we think this is a GREAT story for our Houston area, hint, hint, hint.
Ronald’s favorite quote is none other than the infamous Martin Luther King, Jr. “I have a dream!” If you have a minute or a dollar, please help Ronald make his dream come true!
And if you don’t think an 11-year old can run a legitimate business, Ronald includes the following blurbs in his profile/resume that was sent to us:
I believe that I can support my school and also help people within the community with their lawn care.
Short-term goal: To create a successful business while helping my neighbors with their lawn.
Long-term goal: To create revenue of $5000.00 for myself and to contribute donations of $1000.00 or more to Arizona Fleming Elementary School.
Did we mention he’s 11?!